Thursday, May 25, 2006

To our Dads....

This is a Father's Day post to say Happy Father's Day to our Dads who we miss so much and who have done so much for us throughout the years and continue to do so much for us now. I have so many memories of my Dad from as far back as I can remember, I remember playing baseball in the backyard, winning all of the arm wrestles I had against him.. Even though he was much bigger (figure that one out... Someone wasn't really trying), bedtime cereal snacks and morning porridge, teaching me my times-tables and pushing me to do my best at everything I tried. I probably have thousands and thousands of memories, but I took a few of my favourites and put them into a poem for you Dad (bare in mind that I don't write poetry often.. That's Karilyn's forte, but you can find my attempt down below. Happy Father's Day Daddy... We love you!

FatherÂ’s Day Memories

When I think of you Dad,
It'’s hard not to recall
My memories of you,
From when I was small.

I was always trying
To be tough like the boys.
A kitchen boxing lesson
Would fill me with joy.

In outside work,
I was in the way
But you let me help,
You didn'’t send me to play.

I wanted to help
I didn'’t want to go inside,
Because I knew
The end brought a wheelbarrow ride.

Dinner time
Was filled with glee
As it was always a good joke
To hide your tea.

Later on,
We would style your hair
And though it looked silly,
You didn'’t seem to care.

After devotions,
I often pretended to sleep
Knowing I'd be carried
If I didn'’t make a peep.

At night there was a value tale
Of right and wrong
Or if I was lucky
Maybe a Wilf Carter song.

I closed my eyes
You shut off the light
And kissing me
You said "“good-night...
..my little cherubim”


-For my Dad (A.K.A. Ian Allen MacDonald), from Deborah

Now Scott will contribute some of his memories of his Dad (A.K.A. Kenneth Miller Montgomery) and he will post one of his famous original compositions for him on the music link.

To both of our Fathers.. thank you for loving us but being strong for us when we needed it. Thanks for the snacks and for the whacks that kept us healthy in more ways than one. We love you very much!

Love Scott and Deborah

No comments: