Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Some book I read

In some book that I read a long time ago, the author said that the church must always beware of two problems. The church, like a chameleon, can change its colours to look like the culture around it, or it can recede into itself and have no contact with the world. Jabez would be upset by this. We need to expand our territory.

Here in Korea, Deborah and I have become tribal. We separate ourselves from our roomates and our coworkers, and the result is that we hardly talk with them. A few weeks ago, however, we joined them for a spaghetti party at our apartment. Everyone pitched in to buy the ingredients and we all helped to make it. It resulted in a lot of conversation, much of which was about Jesus and the church. I was able to share the faith because we participated in their spaghetti party.

For those unbelievers who read this, sharing the faith is not like trying to make you take your medicine, or, worse, trying to feed you poison. It's inviting you to a feast that brings abundant joy.

I think that Jabez would have liked this spaghetti party.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More spaghetti I say!

Anonymous said...

Less Jabez I say.



http://www.larknews.com/september_2005/secondary.php?page=2

Scott or Deborah said...

WWJD... What would Jabez do?... really I think people get way to carried away with Jabez... maybe it wasn't originally, but now it's just a marketing scheme. Not that that really has anything to do with anyone's comments... just thought I'd add it, in typical deborah style... almost completely off topic.

Scott or Deborah said...

The Jabez stuff wasn't serious. I read the book one Saturday when I had to wait around our church, and these sentences echo a few memorable sentences in the book. I'll have to work on my satire.