Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Procrastination

I am in the Vaughan Memorial library. I've wasted most of the day on pleasant diversions. When I got to school I spent several hours in the Div school study room and talked with fellow students. Wasted time is a bit harsh. It was quite fun. Here in the library I stopped looking for books and just looked around. This is the first time that I've looked around this library. I am sitting on the third floor, looking down on the second. The library is on a hill, so the first and the second floor are on ground level. What look like cow skulls line the wall across from me. The lights cast shadows on the ceiling, which looks like it's made up of aluminum tiles with ventilating holes. The tiles look like army camouflage pants only a lighter green. A purple banner hangs from the ceiling and reads in big white letters "Quiet Study Area." Coughs and the tapping of keys reverberate off the walls, disobeying the sign. Textbook pages are turning, as students study for exams. It is exam week. A guy and a girl just told the girl sitting in front of me that her exam is tomorrow, not Wednesday, and she got so frustrated. She cursed herself, defamed herself, bit, chewed, and tore herself. Her friends felt awkward, almost like it would have been better if they hadn't told her. Below me are the literature books, and far down the stacks of books, on the wall above them, hangs a large painting. Someone has dug a road through a wood. The road is unpaved and about the size for a car to drive on. The sun in shining golden off the upper part of the far window sill and reflecting on the wooden panelled wall. I am scared that I'll miss Jason if I wait any longer, so I have to go now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been reading Samuel Johnson or is your title coincidental?

I must recommend Johnson's "The Rambler, No. 191". It is subtitled "An Astute Young Lady", and it is one of the most amusing things I've read this fall.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/phil/modernwesternphilosophy/TheWorksofSamuelJohnsonVolume4of16/chap21.html

Scott or Deborah said...

I haven't been reading him but I intentionally stole his title.

I'm done of school now (Oh yeah!), so I will read that right now.